Friday, December 14, 2012

An Artist You Should Know About













I found Lisbeth Zwerger in college and fell in love with her work.  I'm more a fan of her earlier work than her more recent pieces, though.  That last example of her work, the Wizard of Oz piece there is kind of what I mean.  Her new stuff is very geometric, less realistic and less of the beautiful line-work.  I mean, look at that picture up there of Thumbelina waving her scarf - the whole thing is just . . . I mean look at her feet!  Those ankles and . . . the way the folds in her dress are described . . . I think I need to experiment with incorporating some of these aspects into an illustration.

Anyway, Zwerger's Austrian, and she's the recipient of almost every known international illustration award you can think of.  Not that that validates her work as an artist, but it's a cool fact.  As far as I know, she only illustrates books that are public domain - so older classic works of fiction.  I have never been able to find a website for her, but there's a collection you can look at here, her work is relatively easy to look up.

No comments: