Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Steampunk Little Red - Part 3

Study in acrylic, watercolor and colored pencil.

Color comp 

We are now in the painting stages.  I'm having a blast, which is a welcome change to my usual emotionally constipated "I can't DO this" mantra.

A couple of weeks ago, Eric introduced us to Greg Swearingen, who's work I had seen before in Spectrum, but I'd never looked him up.  Turns out he's super cool and uses watered down acrylics, watercolors and colored pencils to achieve the amazingly beautiful illustrations:




While ogling his website, the thought struck me that this might be a technique I could incorporate into my work.  I always feel like I loose so much because I am trying not to noodle and I end up not being able to push those details that always seem to evade me or get muddied up by the end of my painting.

And honestly, it looked like a boatload of fun.

And guess what?  It was!  All those things that I feel like I don't have control over with paint I could go back in and refine very gently with the pencils.  I really enjoyed it.  And using the acrylics as a kind of under layer has been great, too.  I can establish colors and tones and not worry about all the watercolor layers getting mixed up and muddied by the time I'm getting to the end.

But just wait.  I'll run into a problem and swear it all off in a week.  I mean, I hope not, but that has been my modus operandi.

Here is a photo I took about 5 hours in:


Not great, but I'll scan it in at some point so you can see all the lovely details.

No comments: